Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Proceed with caution....

This is how I am handling my foray back into training. Very cautiously. After doing pretty much nothing for the past week, I got back in the pool yesterday. quickly one loses any semblance of swimming shape. So sad. I felt slow, and as if my arms were slipping the entire time. In other words, I felt like I had no feel or catch in the water. But it was a gorgeous day, I was outside, the sun was shining, and I didn't need narcotics for pain, so in all a good work out.

The only thing that was a little bothersome was the lovely, mouth-watering BBQ scent wafting over the pool. It was lunchtime when I swam and the pool is right behind Armadillo Willy's, a burger/ribs/BBQ type place. Oh that smelled nice. Such a tease while you're swimming. I held strong though and drove home for my recovery cliff bar and glass of milk!

Molly has bought a TRX and offered to let me borrow it from time to time. So last night was my first training session. It went pretty well. I like it. It didn't hurt my healing bits, which was a big bonus. I only did one set of everything. Just to get the hang of things. I am happy to report I did not fall flat on my face or hang myself up in the straps. This, I am to understand, is quite an accomplishment! Of course, there is always next time...

I am quite sore today. I like being sore in places you forgot you had muscles. It's nice. I am not so sore that I can't function or am reaching for the advil, but just some tenderness. And yes, those atomic crunches are evil. Wow.

I am certainly not 100% on the healing front. This week is swimming and running, I cannot get back on my bike for another week at least. This gives me a chance to get my bike serviced, the new Adamo saddle installed, and what ever else I choose to have done to it. So that's good. Spa day for the bike.

I had to skip the 10K last Sunday, which was fine, I was bummed, but I really don't think it would have been a good idea to race. Then I heard it was really quite hilly, and I was secretly glad I didn't race =). My next race is the Vineman Showdown on April 17th, I am excited for this race, I went last year as a spectator, and I rode the bike course. So I am looking forward to actually racing. Gotta rent a wetsuit though...

I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words regarding my Grandmother. She is currently in rehab and apparently doing better everyday. The plan is to have her come home the first week of April. Her speech and language are both intact, and she continues to gain more strength on her left side. They will have a hoyer lift in the house to help her get in and out of bed, which is fabulous for my 89year old Grandfather's back. So far my brother and parents have both visited (my grandparents live in Colorado) and my brother will go out to help again after she gets home. It sounds like she's getting pretty decent care in rehab, so that is always a bonus.

Well, that's all from around here. The sun continues to shine, and it truly feels like Spring has sprung. Sure hope it stays that way!

Happy Training!!


  1. I am sorry about your grandmas stroke but it sounds like she is getting good care And will regain alot in the beginning( good you know)
    hang in there with the biking! You wznt to ride this summer so hive it time. I love my ISM saddle btw!!

  2. Hey there! Thanks for the comment on the blog - I am so sorry about your grandmother...but like Julia said, its great that she's getting the care that she needs!

    Okay - for the past 30 years (really 25 or so) - whenever I've had a sinus infection, I've always been on 14 days of Augmentin, 875 mg. Then for the last 8 or so (while I've been with Tricare in the military) - its always been a 10 day, 650 mg course of Augmentin.... Does that make sense? So - because I was perscribed Augmentin several times a year since the age of 5 or 6, and always had 14 day treatments at the max new doctor doesn't think Augmentin works the way it used to. OR - in this case, my body developed an immunity to it.

    So now I'm on Lexapro for 21 days. She was torn between the 750 mg or the 500 mg - in the end we went with the 500 mg, just because it was for such a long time period. I think its Lexapro - or Lefoflovoxin... something like that.....

    If you have ANY ideas or suggestions - please email me or let me know... So...yeah. Good times :)